Just rolling through to say hello and share a few “newsworthy” items in my corner of the world.
1. First and foremost, insert crazed giddy writer doing a happy dance here. The Spirit of Poe Anthology is finally truly on its way! The print versions will be ready to go on July 27th and can be ordered here. The anthology will also be on Kindle sometime this week is already available via CreateSpace.
Of course, I’m thrilled that “Peanut Butter and Jelly,” my first successful foray into the dark side of storytelling (as opposed to my usual humor, happier ending, or general weirdness kind of style) is making its way into the world in this collection. But even if it wasn’t among the tales in this book, I’d recommend this anthology. I’ve seen the proofs and it truly does capture the essence of Poe’s spirit and his writing.
2. I’ve been sticking to my “no writing other than Manwhore” plan. Here’s the funny thing about that. When I am spreading my focus across various projects, I often struggle for ideas for weekly or bi-weekly blog posts. In the last two weeks alone, I have had to put my inner writer in the corner and say “no, no, no!” as I was overcome with urges to blog about:
– Politics and my general aggravation with extremists and my overwhelming urge to vote either Honey Badger or Manwhore for President.
– The wonderful time I had attending my first gay wedding a week ago.
– The death of our van taking me from near financial screwitude ride on over the cliff without a net and how letting go of any pretenses of having security is both terrifying and oddly liberating, because once what you’ve been dreading happens you don’t have to dread it anymore. Making the conscious decision to keep working on this book during my non-working hours rather than looking for a second job or going back to freelancing has shown me how much I believe in this project more than anything else has to date.
Last season, the Ravens beat my Steelers with a last minute Hail Mary touchdown. At almost 42 and still a broke-ass goober, I’m going for the Hail Mary and believing that my ticket to a better quality of life is a manwhore ghost. Rock on.
3. My abstinence from writing about these or any number of other happenings has led to another 10,000-plus words being added to the book since my last update. The first draft is teeting on the brink of halfway done, and I’m on target to complete it before my end-of-September deadline.
4. If you’d like to read my Chicken Soup piece and don’t have “Here Comes the Bride,” you can subscribe to their free email newsletter. My story “The Runaway Who Wasn’t the Bride” will be the featured piece in their July 27th mailing. To subscribe, go to the Chicken Soup homepage, click on the “Free Emails Newsletters” link, and choose the “Positively Pets!” newsletter.
Now, back to my regularly scheduled manwhoring. Cheers and Beers, my friends.