My regular Tuesday post has been waylaid by that crazy little thing called life. So, what might I have been doing rather than getting my Tuesday rant or tale in tip-top shape and ready to roll?
– I might have been reading a novel called “Horns” by Joe Hill. He’s been around for a while, but I hadn’t stumbled across his work until I finished Stephen King’s 11/22/63. In the “afterward” information there was a mention of Joe, who just happens to be his son. So of course, I had to check him out to see if those mad writing skills with a healthy side helping of crazy run in the family. I’ll write a more detailed review soon, but I can tell you that they do. After finishing “Horns” I got “Heart-Shaped Box,” another of Hill’s works. I think immediately moving on to a second novel by a new-to-you writer is a pretty good indication of how you reacted to their first.
– I might have been at the pub watching the Superbowl, calling Tom Brady names, and cheering for the Giants. Because even when the Steelers are out of it, I’m still evil like that.
– I might have been having a ball playing Bingo with some friends. I never thought I’d hear myself say that. To me, Bingo was a somewhat boring game that occasionally caused little old ladies to beat each other with canes or Sunday hats. But when you get the right group of friends together and serve up your Bingo balls with a few drinks, it is a ton of fun!
– I might have been having a movie night and getting all teary-eyed over “Real Steel.” I never thought a fighting robot flick would make me cry, either. It has been a week for new discoveries.
– I might have been dealing with an extra dose of crazy at work.
– I might have been sticking to my 500-words-a-day goal on other writing projects for 4 of my 7 days, which is not stellar but not awful.
– I might have been avoiding the gym because I have let myself go on a bit of a January slack that simply Must. End. Now. Someone beat me with a cheeseburger if I don’t get my butt back in gear this week.
– I might have been reading the proof I received from a publisher for an essay I wrote that will be out later this spring. More on that at some point, I promise. But for now, I can say that the experience of receiving and approving a proof from an established publisher of essays and stories is a bit of a head rush. I’m grinning all over again writing this.
Those were the things I did this week instead of preparing a Tuesday blog, so any one of them might have been what I was doing instead. In some ways this has been a week of “Living in Fast Forward,” but it has been a good one. I’ll chalk it down to collecting stories for future tellings.
Please check back next Tuesday for an interview with blogger Terri Sonada, who won my final Life List Club Milestone Party Giveaway. The hilarious slices of everyday life you’ll find at Terri’s blog are eclipsed only by her short fiction. She’s definitely someone you’ll want to get to know.
See you then!