In my neck of the woods, there are cool crisp breezes in the air. Going out at night means wearing a sweatshirt or a jacket. The weather is perfect for sitting by campfires with glasses of wine and long weekend hikes. The leaves haven’t started to turn yet, but that’s coming too. And I don’t even have to mention that football is back!
Did I mention that I LOVE this time of year?
The crisp fall mornings are bringing some fun things here to Hawleyville, too. There will be some cool stuff going on here at Ye Olde Blog this season.
1. The Life List Club Milestone Party – Complete With Prizes!
This coming Friday, September 23rd, my fellow Life Listers and I will be kicking up our heels in celebration of how far we’ve come towards our writing (and other goals) since we got started this summer. Every other Friday, the Life Listers do a blog hop and guest post for each other, offering up advice and sharing our struggles. September 23rd would be the next scheduled round robin, but we’re doing something different this time around. We’ll each be giving updates on our own blogs, celebrating our successes and preparing for our next round of adventures.
But the party isn’t just for us. We want to share the thrill of working together to turn our writing dreams into realities. Each of us will be giving away a gift – to be announced as part of our Sept 23rd Milestone Party posts – to one of our subscribers who comments on that round of updates.
Be sure to come by on the 23rd to check in with me and the other Life Listers, see how our progress relates to your own writing goals and initiatives, and throw your hat in the ring to win some cool giveaways!
2. Haunted Hawleyville
One of the things I love the most about fall is Halloween. My ex mother-in-law used to call it “the most wonderful time of the year,” and in my mind she was right. There’s just something so much fun about pumpkins and costumes and spooky stories.
During the month of October, I’ll be celebrating Halloween each Monday with Haunted Hawleyville. I’ll share 5 spooky stories from my own personal experience. Ya’ll may think I’m nuts by the time I’m done, but since most of the people in my everyday life have known that for years, I’m used to it : ).
Here’s the Haunted Hawleyville lineup:
1. Monday, October 2nd – I’ll start off the haunting with a fun story of a time my grandmother was sure she saw a ghost in my great-grandmother’s living room in Tunnelton, West Virginia. But did she really?
2. Monday, October 10th – The next story also takes place at my great grandmother’s old house. My first boyfriend had a disturbing encounter there. It got even more disturbing when we returned to Baltimore and learned that years and years before, my mother had a very similar experience.
3. Monday, October 17th – Fast forward to my early 20s. My fiance and I are living with a roommate in an old townhouse in Baltimore’s historic Fell’s Point. My best friend comes to stay for the weekend. Although we’re sleeping in rooms that are across the house from each other, we’re both woken at the same moment by something VERY out of the ordinary. And then …
4. Monday, October 24th – Another flashback to my childhood. Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger will pay a visit to Hawleyville. Hey, they DID hang out with my family back in those days. If you don’t believe me, you’ll have to wait and see …
5. Monday, October 31st – I’ll round out the Halloween fun with an odd little true story that takes place at my parent’s cabin in Pennsylvania. I shared this experience with my mom, my friend Deb, and my niece Jordyn. All the men who were there that weekend missed it – they were all inside hanging near the TV and the remote control. Does that surprise anyone?
I hope you’ll all join in the festivities. Fall is here – let’s have some fun!
And in the meantime, what are some of YOUR favorite things about fall?