You Might Be A Writer If:
– You frequently have a numb arse from extended periods of sitting.
– You are frequently woken up at weird hours by story ideas that simply MUST escape, and then find yourself trying not to fall asleep and drool on your desk at your day job.
– Your eyes and your fingers are the most worked-out parts of your body, and your eyes often bitch about it.
You Might Be A Lapsed Gym Rat Trying to Get Back In The Game If:
– It hurts to laugh, cough or sneeze because of the last two days of ab workouts.
– You haven’t lifted anything heavier than a beer in a year, and are still dumb enough to wonder why your arms are bitching and moaning after you made them lift weights.
– You want to slap yourself upside the head when you put on your workout clothes and realize that you looked much hotter in them this time last summer.
As for me, I have the honor of being both. What this means is that I am a bleary-eyed, numb-assed, aching-armed, limping woman who can’t laugh, cough or sneeze without wincing and who is in desperate peril of snoozing and desk-drooling when she goes back to work next week.
But you know what? I wouldn’t trade one ache. They say no pain, no gain. The alternative to suffering the woes of a writer and a reformed fitness wannabe would be to hit 45 in 4 years with nothing written, no publishing credits to my name, and a great big whale of a butt bumbling along behind me wherever I walked.
Two years ago, I committed myself to being fit and was met with great success. Then I stopped, and committed myself to being a writer instead. That, too, has been a successful venture so far. Now, it is time to achieve both goals simultaneously, without letting one crowd out the other. Five years ago, I may not have believed that I could be a writer with publication credit and several completed stories under her belt. I’d never have believed I could be truly fit. I’ve shown myself I CAN in fact do both.
Doing them both at once is just stepping up the game a bit, right?
Sometimes when you’re trying your darndest, life actually decides to be kind and throw you a bone or two. Like having a gym open around the corner from your house. Or having something like The Life List Club come into being just as you’re about to kick your own goal-setting up a notch.
I hope you’ll check it out, and perhaps consider participating.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna stretch my numb rear end. Hope you’re enjoying your holiday weekend as much as I’ve been loving mine.